Post #9

My Online Presence 


In comparison to most of the people I know, my social media presence is much more public. When I was a freshman in high school, I began posting short videos of myself doing random things on a social media app called Vine. Then, out of nowhere, my videos began gaining tremendous popularity, therefore increasing my follower count across all of my social media pages. Suddenly, my small 200 follower accounts were gaining thousands of followers at a time. My whole life was now out there for people to see and like most young people now, fame and popularity was exciting and I wanted to indulge. Because of this, I did not realize the detrimental impact my extremely public life could potentially have on me in the future. Most "influencers" like me at the time had taken this opportunity of minor stardom and turned it into true fame, causing them to drop out of school without pursuing a college career for themselves. Personally, I knew that furthering my education was going to be the smartest decision for me in the long run, causing me to give up part of my social media persona, as well as being more cautious  about how I am portrayed on social media from a professional take.




A post shared by SOFIA OLIVERA (@sofiaoliveraaa) on


My Vine account had nearly 200,000 followers, which was the reasoning behind the flourishing  of my favorite app now, Instagram. My very public Instagram account currently has nearly 36,800 followers. While I am aware that all of those individuals have access to my life, I do think it is important in today's society (and especially in the entertainment business) to build a positive brand for myself on social media in order to enhance my personal values and ideas. I believe I have created a big yet clean and acceptable online footprint for myself due to the fact that I have done paid advertisements on my social media accounts with big brands such as Coca-Cola, the Olympics, HP Software Company, Daniel Wellington, BarkThins, and so on.

Because my life has been so public since I was 15, I had to figure out a way to separate that life with my personal one. Up until I committed to High Point University, I never really needed a Facebook account. So when I finally made one the summer before my freshman year, I decided that my account was going to be for my friends and family to access only. Unlike my other social media accounts, my Facebook  page is more intimate, meaning that I post more about my personal life and experiences that I don't really want to share with strangers. 

Comments